Elder Law Checklist of Essential Legal Documents
Our thanks to Kevin Pillion and Shannon Feinroth of the Life Planning Law Firm for providing a checklist outlining the key legal documents related to effective life planning.
1. HEALTH CARE POWER OF ATTORNEY (DESIGNATED HEALTH CARE SURROGATE)
Who do YOU want to make your health care decisions if you were unable to do so?
Legal document appointing another
Key Questions When Considering a Move to a Senior Retirement Community
Contributed by Rusty Blix, Founder of Alderman Oaks
Aging in Place or Transitioning to a Retirement Community Can Often be Complex, Confusing, and Intimidating!
We encourage you to schedule a visit to Alderman Oaks, as we would look forward to assisting you and your family in the decision making process.
Is the community privately owned or part of a larger
Response to Herald-Tribune Editor’s Request Regarding Hurricane Irma
I am responding to the October 17, 2017 Editor’s request “to hear from customers about their power restoration times” from the outages caused by hurricane Irma.
Alderman Oaks Retirement Center in downtown Sarasota experienced a power outage of four days. I also testify for many, if not most, Assisted Living owners and operators in
Nursing-Home Mandate Illogical
Our thanks to the Sarasota-Manatee Herald-Tribune for allowing Rusty Blix, owner of Alderman Oaks, to be a guest columnist in the Sunday, October 8, 2017 (Opinion Section) issue of their newspaper.
Following are the contents of his column.
I support LeadingAge Florida’s challenging of Rick Scott’s order to install generators in all Nursing Homes and Assisted Living
5 Benefits of Exercise for the Brain & Overall Health
Our thanks to Nicci Kobritz for contributing this article.
Exercise may be more important than you think. Aside from benefiting your physical health, exercise—research shows—packs numerous cognitive benefits. Below, we’re covering the best benefits prolonged exercise has on your brain.
#1: Exercise Improves Executive Functions
Your brain’s executive functions are higher-level thinking skills. These skills include task switching,
- Loving, caring ownership and staff
- Services catering to different lifestyle needs
- Active Resident Council and Committees
- Located in "Heart" of Downtown Sarasota
- Regular Spiritual Opportunities
- Flexible Transportation
- Exercises, health diets, and access to an on-site Wellness Center
- Weekly Happy Hour with Live Entertainment (We dance!)
- Just Around the Corner From the Friendship Center
- Rental Only Apartments (No buy-in required)
- Choice of studio, one bedroom, or two bedroom Floor Plans
- Able to transition into Assisted Living if needed