Response to Herald-Tribune Editor’s Request Regarding Hurricane Irma
I am responding to the October 17, 2017 Editor’s request “to hear from customers about their power restoration times” from the outages caused by hurricane Irma.
Alderman Oaks Retirement Center in downtown Sarasota experienced a power outage of four days. I also testify for many, if not most, Assisted Living owners and operators in
Nursing-Home Mandate Illogical
Our thanks to the Sarasota-Manatee Herald-Tribune for allowing Rusty Blix, owner of Alderman Oaks, to be a guest columnist in the Sunday, October 8, 2017 (Opinion Section) issue of their newspaper.
Following are the contents of his column.
I support LeadingAge Florida’s challenging of Rick Scott’s order to install generators in all Nursing Homes and Assisted Living
5 Benefits of Exercise for the Brain & Overall Health
Our thanks to Nicci Kobritz for contributing this article.
Exercise may be more important than you think. Aside from benefiting your physical health, exercise—research shows—packs numerous cognitive benefits. Below, we’re covering the best benefits prolonged exercise has on your brain.
#1: Exercise Improves Executive Functions
Your brain’s executive functions are higher-level thinking skills. These skills include task switching,
Making a Connection with Those with Dementia
Our thanks to author Susan Garbett for contributing this article.
The media and some commercials would have us believe that Alzheimer’s is just a disease of memory. We know it can also affect perception, behavior, personality, language dysfunction, visual and motor skills, and much more. Being diagnosed with Alzheimer’s should not be looked as an immediate
Is My Forgetfulness Normal?
Our thanks to Cheryl Brandi, DNSc, ARNP, NP-C of the Roskamp Institute Clinic for contributing this article.
We all have those moments where we forget someone’s name, or where we put the car keys. These “senior moments” are understood to be part of the normal aging process. However, at what point should one be
- Loving, caring ownership and staff
- Services catering to different lifestyle needs
- Active Resident Council and Committees
- Located in "Heart" of Downtown Sarasota
- Regular Spiritual Opportunities
- Flexible Transportation
- Exercises, health diets, and access to an on-site Wellness Center
- Weekly Happy Hour with Live Entertainment (We dance!)
- Just Around the Corner From the Friendship Center
- Rental Only Apartments (No buy-in required)
- Choice of studio, one bedroom, or two bedroom Floor Plans
- Able to transition into Assisted Living if needed